What are indigo adults and indigo children? You may have heard the terms indigo adults and indigo children over the past few decades. The term is not as new as some think. Will you find indigo adults and indigo children in everyday life? What are their personality traits? If you are wanting to know more about indigo people, or feel you may be one, read on.
What Are Indigo Adults?
So why are some people named or self-identify as indigo? They tend to be people who have innate sense and understanding of spirituality from birth. Parents or caregivers often recognize indigo children when they are young. Indigo adults are sensitive, intuitive, lively, loving, intelligent, and curious. They are often driven to make a positive change in the world. Although often thought to be “different”, indigo adults and children often okay with that. They may feel happy to live outside the box or the “norm” within life, and the society, they live in.
What Does “Indigo” Refer To?
The term indigo refers to the belief the aura color of the person is of a royal blue/indigo shade. This is the same color as the sixth of the seven chakras. This chakra said to represent consciousness, wisdom, and connections to spiritual realms.
A Little Context
The description of indigo people is not new. The use of the term “indigo children” began with the beginnings of the so-called “New Age” movement in the 1960s and 1970s counter-culture. This was a revolutionary period for many in Western societies. The result was a shift of spirituality and consciousness away from mainstream belief systems. Children identified as indigo during that period are now indigo adults in their 40s and 50s.
A resurgence in the use of the term happened again in the 1980s and 1990s. A new generation began exploring spirituality within the context of “alternative” belief systems. This included embracing beliefs around reincarnation from Eastern religions. Along with the reclamation of intuitive knowledge from older European belief systems.
Other terms emerging in this period are the use of “crystal” and rainbow children. Those known as crystal children or crystal people are a generation born from a previous generation of indigo parents. The term “star seed” refers to children or people believed to have incarnated many times and be “old souls”. These indigo children are now indigo adults in their 20s and 30s.
Indigo children and indigo adults may receive alternative diagnoses within mainstream health systems. They may receive diagnoses of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Or, said to fall within the autism spectrum. There are similar traits and attributes. This, mainly Western psychological approach, tends to negate the individuals’ spiritual experiences.
It is more of a pathological approach to mental health and well-being. Rather than a psychological problem, some social anthropologists put it in more of a cultural context. That is, people’s acceptance of similar characteristics or personality traits is to do with their belief systems. This approach suggests the concepts of indigo people may be within the realms of a new religious movement, or marginal religious phenomenon.
Attributes of Indigo Adults
There are many characteristics and attributes of indigo adults and indigo children. They may display and feel they identify with any number. There is no formal psychological “test” or assessment. However, if you feel you self-identify with a lot of the below traits, then you may be an indigo adult.
- Spirituality: Indigo adults and indigo children usually have an innate sense of spirituality throughout their life. They are often called “gifted” in a creative or intellectual sense. Particularly when born to a nonspiritual home or wider family. Indigo people are acutely and psychically aware of other spiritual realms and dimensions. They often feel directly connected with them. Particularly when raised in an environment where there is acceptance of these beliefs.
- Wisdom: People say that wisdom comes from age and experience. Indigo adults, tend to show extraordinary wisdom, well beyond their years, throughout their whole life. Most especially when they were children. Some say the wisdom and love indigo people have is a result of experiencing several incarnations on this planet. Others consider indigo people incarnate in and out of other realms. Indigo adults are often attributed with uncanny psychic abilities.
- Intuitive Clarity: Indigo adults and indigo children are often extremely intuitive and perceptive, to the point of being psychic. They often “just know” or feel that something is right or wrong, or just around the corner in life. They have inbuilt lie detectors. They can usually see through people and events where there may be any potential BS or bad energy. It is a psychic way of knowing and feeling that comes naturally and has always been.
- Sensitivity: Indigo souls are usually psychically sensitive to other people and their surroundings. They may also have physical sensitivities as well. Energy and emotions may run high, or low and depression is common. Their feelings about life run deep and they may have an enormous capacity to love. Indigo children and indigo adults may be extra sensitive to certain foods. They may have strong physical reactions to sugars, meats, and food additives. Electrical or battery powered objects may seem to go haywire on their body or in their presence. Wristwatches may keep strange time, or the mechanism of appliances may go awry.
- Difference: Indigo adults know and feel they are different from many other people and always have been. Acceptance of this as an adult depends on their socialization as children and experiences in life. Often they have come to terms with this and understand this. They are not necessarily loners. However, indigo adults would usually prefer to be alone with their own company than with others who do not understand or accept them for who they are.
- Intelligent Curiosity: Indigo adults and children are the ones who always have to know “why”! The reasoning of “just because” will never suffice. They like to put their energy into how everything works in life and the reasons why. Indigo people may not necessarily fit into a mainstream school or work environments. They may not gel with the concepts behind rigid structures and systems.
- Frustration: Indigo adults may become angry with people who they see as doing something wrong. Especially if it involves harming others. For both children and adults, they may direct this frustration inwards towards themselves. They may also become frustrated when they feel held back. Or, if told their inner visions and awareness are wrong.
- Purpose: Indigo adults are often driven to change the world for the better. And they have the high self-esteem to do so. They may feel drawn to work as activists. Or in roles with a capacity to make a social or environmental change for a better life for everyone. They abhor injustice and feel that is where their full energy or life’s mission is. They love to make a difference for people in the world.
- Creativity: Thinking and acting creatively to indigo adults and children is natural. However, it can be intense. They enjoy creative outlets such as art and music. Indigo adults tend to be non-linear thinkers and able to see and feel all sides. If indigo people are passionate about a task or process, they will love it. They will give it their full attention and energy. They will become disengaged if something bores them or is repetitive.
- Love & Empathy: Indigo adults and children tend to embrace the diversity of humanity and see all people as created equal in life. Even with the challenges they feel towards wrongdoings towards themselves and/or others, they may empathize enormously with other people’s pain. They have a tendency towards introversion. Their outward expressions of love and energy with people they do not know is often reserved. With those closest to them or like-minded people, they are genuinely open and care. They often have an affinity with animals and feel most relaxed in natural surroundings.
Possible Physical Attributes of Indigo Adults
There are some physical attributes that some believe are often characteristic of indigo adults and indigo children. These include:
- Eyes: Indigo people may have tense deep-set blue or green eyes.
- Complexion: Their skin coloring may be light (no matter what their ethnicity of origin).
- Ageless: Indigo people may have a tendency to remain to look youthful and younger than they are. Or, they may look old and wise from a very young age as children and remain that way. If you know an indigo person, you may feel they never age throughout their lives.
- Androgyny: While not necessarily bi-sexual, their appearance of indigo people may be androgynous. Their physical appearance may be an even balance of both masculine and feminine.
Living as an Indigo Adult
Being in a world where being different from others creates stigmatization is hard. People who identify as indigo adults often have a level of acceptance that being different is their norm. Finding a way to move past any ill-fitting labels placed on them as children, they can, and do, focus on their positive attributes. They are at their best when devoting their life, energy, and their enormous capacity to love to benefit the rest of humanity.