You don’t have to be a spiritual person to believe in kindred spirits. Being spiritual means that you are much quicker to recognize and acknowledge a kindred spirit when you meet them. But that doesn’t mean that kindred spirits are exclusive to those who know about them.
People don’t go around meeting kindred spirits every day. So it’s hard for anyone to ignore the strange and inexplicable connection you feel when one does come along. It’s almost like you have met them before. Like you know them. Like you have always known them.
What are Kindred Spirits?
The beauty of kindred spirits is the undeniable connection that someone feels with someone or something outside of themselves. In a world where humanity is more disconnected than ever from each other and from nature, meeting a kindred spirit is profoundly comforting. It reassures us that we are not alone.
Some people believe that we recognize kindred spirits because we have met them in a former life. Or many former lives. But again, you do not have to be spiritual and believe in reincarnation to believe in kindred spirits.
Kindred Spirit Definition
A kindred spirit is someone whose energy resonates at the same frequency as yours. There is no defined rule or limit to the relationship you might share with a kindred spirit. It may be a close friend or family member that you have known for years. Or maybe a lover or simply an acquaintance. It could even be your beloved dog. Kindred spirits are our real families in this world.
Kindred spirits uplift and build each other up. They share unconditional love and trust. Trusting someone on such a deep level means that any harsh truths that they tell you are meant well. They can’t be mistaken for intentions to hurt you. They will always tell you what you need to hear, which is not always what you want to hear.
Because of the intense connection that kindred spirits share, much of their communication is based on intuition. One of them might suddenly have a feeling that their kindred spirit is in distress or that they are about to make a life-changing decision.
Kindred spirits are feel good people. Just being around them is comforting and energizing. They get each other excited about things. Kindred spirits also often have shared experiences of hardships and traumas. The level of empathy, sincerity, and understanding between two kindred spirits is unmistakable. They just know.
Kindred spirits are people that we share political views or spiritual beliefs with. They share our fundamental moral standpoints and all our non-negotiables. Kindred spirits also tend to have taste and talents which complement each other. One might be a musician, the other a singer.
People can learn so much form kindred spirits. They teach us about our relationships with others and the world. But most importantly, they can also teach us about who we are in relation to the world around us.
Kindred Spirit vs. Soulmate
Kindred spirits have a somewhat passive role in our lives. We share a connection and always support each other but their involvement in our everyday life may be limited. Soulmate relationships run much deeper. The connection between two soul mates is much stronger and intuitive.
What is a Soulmate?
A soulmate is quite likely to be someone who is your best and closest friend. It is someone with whom you can share absolutely anything with. It is someone who knows how you are feeling and what you need with a single glance. Soulmates are constantly in sync. They can sometimes feel like mind readers because your conversation is not limited to spoken words. It’s more than finishing each other’s sentences. They answer our thoughts.
People are quick to think that “soulmates” implies a romantic connection. You do not always marry your soulmates. Some soul mates are Soul Teachers, Soul Companions, or Soul Friends.
One step deeper than soulmates is our Twin Flame. Twin flames are our spiritual twins. They are our mirrors. Unlike kindred spirits and soulmates, we only have one twin flame in this lifetime.
Other Kindred Spirits
The idea of Kindred Spirits has inspired people in just about every realm of everyday life. There is something in the term that implies a meaningful connection with something more than just ourselves. It is hardly surprising that everyone from musicians and painters, to sculptors and artisans, tap into this meaningful name. The name for one of the most beautiful connections human beings can experience in this world.
You may have come across a couple of the following Kindred Spirits:
- Kindred Spirits Band
- Kindred Spirits Brewing Company
- Kindred Spirits Orchestra
- Kindred Spirits Painting – There is a famous painting by Asher B. Durand titled Kindred Spirits. The painting shows Kaaterskill falls in Kaaterskill Clove. It was loaned to the New York Public Library by the Walton Family Foundation until it was bought by a Wal-Mart heiress for over $35 million in 2005.
- Kindred Spirits in Literature – There is a quote by Anne in the book Anne of Green Gables, which reads: “Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. It’s splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world.”
- Kindred Spirit Sculpture – The Kindred Spirit Sculpture was donated to the Choctaw Nation by the Irish in memory of the history of the two nations.
- Kindred Spirits Hybrid Oak – The Kindred Spirit Oak is a hybrid tree. It is a hybrid of the Upright English Oak (Columnar Oak) and a Swamp White Oak.
- Kindred Spirits Mailbox – The Kindred Spirit Mailbox was a mystery for many years. It is a mailbox on Bird Island near Sunset Beach in North Carolina. It seems to be in the middle of nowhere and always has a notebook and pens inside for walkers-by to write their innermost thoughts. It was put there nearly 40 years ago by Frank Nesmith and a former girlfriend of his. A local author, Jacqueline DeGroot now helps Nesmith to retrieve the notebooks and replace them with new ones.
- Kindred Spirits TV Series – This TV series by Amy Bruni is all about paranormal activity and other mysterious happenings. It follows paranormal investigators and ghost hunters.
- Kindred Spirits Video Game – You can also get your fix of paranormal investigation and ghost adventures by joining Ventress in the Kindred Spirits video game that is a part of the Sliske quest series.
- Crossedlines – There is an episode of this TV series titled “Kindred Spirits”. In it the trains Atlas and Ember find out who is the Masonry Bridge’s Nr. 1 train!
We should never take kindred spirits for granted. The connection we share with them makes life a lot less lonely.